The Small Government Pledgesm
I believe that government is too big – that government spending, borrowing, debt, and taxes are too high.
As a candidate for public office:
- I promise to campaign for specific proposals to roll back and reduce total government spending, debt, liabilities, borrowing, and taxes – and to immediately give back 100% of these savings to the taxpayers.
- I promise to campaign to actively seek out and root out government waste, overspending, and non-essential spending.
- I promise to campaign to shrink or eliminate Big Government programs that do not work or that make things worse.
As an elected officeholder, I will keep my campaign promises, including:
- I promise to consistently support and vote for, or sign into law, measures that make government smaller than it is today.
- I promise to actively and ambitiously work to shrink the total size, power, scope, authority, liabilities, unneeded assets, debt and taxes of today's Big Government.
- I promise to oppose and vote against, or veto, all measures that:
I promise to do everything in my power to open the government's books to all voters and taxpayers.
- increase total government spending or keep it at current levels
- introduce new government programs
- expand any government program
- increase taxes, including any fees or payments mandated by government
- increase government debt
- increase non-essential government assets, or
- expand government regulations or mandates.
I promise to disclose and publish every vote I cast or fail to cast.
Terms and Conditions of Use of the Small Government Pledgesm for Candidates
If you're a small government candidate, the Center For Small Government invites you to apply for certification as a Signer of the Small Government Pledgesm for Candidates. If certified by the Center For Small Government, and if you comply with all of the following terms and conditions, we grant you permission to use the Small Government Pledgesm for Candidates in your campaign:
- You run a campaign that prominently features your pledge to work to enact one ore more small government proposals that contains all 10 high impact ingredients. You promote this proposal and its benefits relentless during your campaign at every opportunity. You feature it at your web site "above the fold." Everyone who visits your web site, reads your campaign literature, hears you speak, or is exposed to one of your campaign ads will expect you to make it your top priority if elected.
- Your application for the Small Government Pledgesm for Candidates is considered a signing of the standard Small Government Pledgesm (for voters), i.e., you commit to vote only for other small government candidates on Election Day.
- You have read — carefully — the Small Government Pledgesm for Candidates, you understand it, and you promise to speak and act in accordance with it. Every issue. Every time. No exceptions. No excuses. If you are unclear of the meaning of any provision of the Pledge, you contact the Center For Small Government for clarification.
- You prominently post the complete Small Government Pledgesm for Candidates with its service mark (SM), or provide a link to this web page, on your campaign web site.
- If you have served in public office, you publish or provide upon request your full voting record. That record must demonstrate compliance with the Small Government Pledgesm. Exceptions may be granted if you have thoroughly renounced any past support for Big Government and have diligently attempted to reverse its effect.
- If you fail to keep your Small Government Pledgesm for Candidates, or change your mind about it, you will immediately remove the Pledge and all references to it from your campaign communications and advertising.
- The Small Government Pledgesm for Candidates is intended for effective, persuasive campaigns that abide by all terms of the Pledge. The Center for Small Government reserves the right to deny or revoke your use of the Small Government Pledgesm for Candidates at any time at the Center's sole discretion.
- If a representative from the Center For Small Government notifies you that you must discontinue use of the Small Government Pledgesm for Candidates, you will immediately remove the Pledge and all references to it from your campaign communications and advertising.
If as a candidate you agree to the above terms, and if you are committed to run for a particular office in the current election cycle, click here to apply for the Small Government Pledgesm for Candidates.
The Small Government Pledgesm for Candidates is intended for candidates running for a particular office in the current election year. If you plan to run for office at an unspecified time in the future, please sign the standard Small Government Pledgesm for voters today instead and sign the Candidates Pledge when you're ready to run for office.
Know any candidates who may qualify for the Small Government Pledgesm? Please send them to this web page and ask them to take the Pledge.