Will You Sign the New Declaration of Independence?
by Carla Howell and Michael Cloud
56 Individuals signed the original Declaration of Independence.
The Declaration of Independence was NOT simply a strong expression of
It was NOT an attempt to influence, persuade or lobby the King or Government
of Great Britain.
It was NOT a mere petition. It said, “We have Petitioned for Redress in the
most humble Terms:
Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by
The Declaration of Independence “published and declared” that the “United
Colonies are, and of Right ought to be, Free and Independent States; that
they are absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all
political Connection between them and the State of Great-Britain, is and
ought to be totally dissolved…”
Then the 56 Signers backed up the declaration with their personal
commitments. They wrote, “And for the support of this Declaration…we
mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred
To the British government, it was an Act of Treason.
They risked everything. Their homes could be confiscated or burned. Their
families might be arrested and imprisoned. They faced the gallows. If they
Yet their bold declaration and pledge set in motion the events that led to
Independence, Liberty, and the United States of America.
If you were alive then, if you had the opportunity, would you have taken the
risks those 56 Signers took? Would you have signed the Declaration of
We hope you would have. We hope we would have, too.
But now you have the opportunity to sign the NEW Declaration of
Independence: the Small Government PledgeSM.
The NEW Declaration of Independence does NOT require you to risk your life,
liberty, or property.
It does NOT demand that you sacrifice your life or earnings for the cause of
It does NOT require you to suffer to advance or achieve liberty.
The Small Government PledgeSM makes sure that every choice you make, every
vote you cast moves toward small government and liberty.
It’s simple and direct.
Will you join us? Will you be among the first to sign the NEW Declaration of
Independence – the Small Government PledgeSM?
The only way you can get small government is to vote small government. And that begins with taking - and living by - the Small Government PledgeSM:
The Small Government PledgeSM is an action pledge, not just a statement of belief, principles, or positions.
Do you sincerely want to make government small? If so, take the Small Government PledgeSM!
The Small Government PledgeSM
"I vote small government. Every issue. Every time. No exceptions. No excuses.
"Here's what the Small Government PledgeSM means:
- I will vote for and support only those candidates who consistently vote for small government; who work to make government smaller than it is today.
For candidates who have never served in office, I will vote only for those who campaign to make government smaller than it is today.
- I will vote against and refuse to support every candidate who votes to sustain or enlarge today's Big Government - or campaigns for it.
- I will vote in every federal, state, and local election. If necessary, I'll get an absentee ballot. I'll find out about the choices on my ballot - and make sure I always vote small government.
- If there is no small government candidate on the ballot, I will either write in and vote for a small government candidate, leave the ballot blank for that office, or write in and vote for "small government".
- I will vote for every ballot initiative and referendum that shrinks the size, spending, taxes, scope, or power of today's Big Government.
- I will vote against every ballot initiative, referendum, and bond that increases the size, spending, taxes, scope, or power of today's Big Government."
Click here to take the Small Government PledgeSM and get a printable certificate you can sign and hang on your wall.
More about the Small Government PledgeSM
How You Benefit from the Small Government PledgeSM
Why Small Government Plus 1 Exception Adds Up to Big Government
Apply the Weight Watchers Test.
Are You Considering a Run for Office?
We are now accepting applications for the Small Government PledgeSM for Candidates for the 2007 and 2008 elections. Please click here to read and sign the Pledge.